Thursday, September 18, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup

I couldn't be more excited for fall.

Just the other week I picked up a pair of pumpkins at Stanley's. I want it to be October so bad I can almost taste the Halloween candy and Carmel apples.

Since summer is still holding on with tender hooks I'll have to put off menus filled with roasted meats and root vegetables. But I was able to break the seal on the first soup of the season.

It's easy and healthy, but most importantly it's great.

Butternut Squash Soup
Serves 6-8
Total Cost: $5.50 (approx. $.61-$.91/person)

1 shallot, minced
1 medium onion, diced
3lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
2 TBSP olive oil
8 cups chicken stock
1 tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste
pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)

In a large pot over medium heat add the oil and saute the shallot and onion until translucent. Add the squash to the onion mixture and saute for about 2 minutes.

Pour the broth into the pot with the sauteed vegetables also adding the rosemary and thyme. Bring the mixture to a boil.

Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for at least 30 minutes until the squash is very soft. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and red pepper flakes, if using.

Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth.

1 comment:

leah - moxiethrift on etsy said...

i have a butternut square sitting on my counter. hmmmm..

winner winner squash soup dinner.

on another note: i took it upon myself to adopt "auuuwk - wuuurd" from your vocabulary. it is now sewn into my daily life, as there are many of those moments around me.

and my frousin {cousin/friend} from indiana picked it up from me. and then, her sister in law, one of THOOOOOOSE kinds of sister in laws, said it the other day. cora {frousin} was quite pleased to hear and then tell me, said sister in law copied her. who copied me. who copied you.

are you dizzy?