Thursday, November 20, 2008

Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry

I love stir fry, but unfortunately when I order any for our local take out places there are just never enough veggies and I'm usually worried that my sodium intake will be off the charts. So I devised my own version of stir fry based on Chinese menus' Beef and Broccoli. It's quick enough for a weekday night and healthier (and more inexpensive) alternative to delivery.

Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry
Serves 4
Total Cost: $11.00 (approx. $2.75/person)

Sauce:
1/4 cup oyster sauce
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp white wine
1 Tbsp Thai style chili sauce
1 tsp hot chili paste (optional)
1 tsp corn starch
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside to add to the stir fry pan later.

Stir Fry:
3 bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, green or any combination), sliced
1 bunch of broccoli, cut into florets
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
1 lb top sirloin or flank steak, thinly sliced into strips against the grain
2 cloves garlic, minced or put through garlic press
1 inch ginger, grated
3 Tbsp soy sauce
salt & pepper to taste
olive oil

In a bowl combine the steak, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, jalapeno, salt and pepper and let marinade for about 10 minutes.

In a microwave safe dish with a lid cook the broccoli florets with a couple of Tbsps of water until tender, about 3 minutes. Set aside.

In wok or large frying pan over high heat add a few Tbsp of olive oil and heat until very hot. Add the peppers and onion and cook until caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside. Bring the pan back up to high heat and then add more oil, then the steak (add the steak in batches if it will over crowd the pan). Cook beef until browned then add the broccoli, peppers and onion into the pan along with the reserved sauce and cook until the sauce thickens.

Serve with rice or noodles.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hi Molly--

The stir fry looks great, I noticed you haven't been updating regularly but I mentioned your radio show in my own blog and I was wondering if you'd mind if I linked this site in the text?

Have a great day, I've enjoyed your recipes!