Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Booze on a Budget

One of the major expenses when entertaining, alcohol.

It has a way of becoming a forgotten and sometimes hefty expense when planning a meal.

Recently I bought $111.95 worth of alcohol and wine at Jewel-Osco, but paid only $68.45.

How did I save $43.50?

By doing three things.
  1. Watching Sales - Unless you absolutely have to have a certain type of wine or liquor, buy the sale item. In this case I had a very specific type of gin I need to buy, Hendrick's, which is usually rather expensive, but I waited for it to go on sale to buy it.
  2. Use Coupons - Many times alcohol distributors offer in store coupons for their products. Keep an eye out for the specially marked bottles, sometimes the coupons are offered in addition to the store. For example the Hendrick's gin I purchased was not only on sale, but the manufacturer was offering a $5 off coupon with the purchase of ice and limes, which I needed for my dinner party anyway.
  3. Buy in Bulk - At Jewel-Osco if you purchase 6 or more bottles of 750ml wine or liquor you receive 10% off your purchase. That is 10 percent off the TOTAL wine and liquor purchase. So not only did I get the Hendrick's gin on sale and get to use the $5 off coupon I also got 10% taken off the price.

I learned about the bulk savings from Susan, a Consumer Educator with Southern Wine and Spirits. Susan does tastings on weekends in the wine section of my local Jewel. Her company usually has people out educating shoppers like me at Jewels all around the Chicago area.

Susan is the lady that informed me that not only does Jewel offer a 10% savings on 6 or more bottles of 750ml wine, but that discount would also include any purchase of 750ml bottles of liquor.

Good to know for stocking up for parties or just an empty liquor cabinet.

Here's the breakdown for the gin:

$33.79 (original price)

- $4.80 (sale discount)

- $5.00 (coupon)

- $2.90 (bulk discount)

= $21.09 Total

No comments: